Welcome to the Weekly Mastery Lecture page for Math 139 Calculus with PreCalculus at McGill (Fall 2020), taught by Profs. Sean Bibby &nd Sidney Trudeau with J-Sesh. Here you can register and find information about the sessions.
All the content taught in Jacob’s Math139.com sessions has been catered specifically for Math 139 students at McGill and has helped thousands of them understand the material and succeed in this class.
- Cost &nd Payment info for Math 139 Weekly Mastery Lectures
- First time trial: if you have never attended one of my sessions previously, your first session is only $20.
All Weekly Mastery Lectures: prepay for the entire set of 7 sessions and get the best price for the Math 139 sessions: $280 for everything you need to master the material and succeed in your class.
Included in the weekly membership: not only the weekly lectures, but detailed notes at every session (6-12 pages, 9pt, colour-coded), and priority registration (as well as discounted rates!) for WebWork Workshops, Midterm Mastery Prep and Final Mastery Prep.
This option is only available during the first 3 weeks of sessions and for the total set of 7 sessions. So if you join during the 2nd or 3rd session, the price is still $280; however, you’d receive all the previous notes and still qualify for all the benefits.
My goal in offering this lowest price is to encourage you to join the sessions early, so that you can establish a strong foundation right from the start so you’ll be less stressed for the final and do better in the class, overall: take advantage & register right away!
- Prepay (min.) 4 Sessions: $220, includes notes of those 4 sessions and all other benefits of weekly membership. There is always the option of getting the notes from previous tutorials, students can contact me at Jacob@Math139.com for exact prices. The same benefits as the 7-week membership also apply. For additional information, get in touch using the contact form.
- Individual Sessions: $65/session, including all relevant notes; subject to space; cancellations must be made min. 48h prior to the session. For additional information, get in touch using the contact form.
N.B. All payments are non-refundable; for additional details, please contact Jacob@Math139.com.
- Everything you need you know about Math 139
This is an incredibly satisfying class to teach because I have the opportunity to help you understand some of the most important foundational concepts in calculus. Sometimes there are students who have never felt they had any real success in math, previously, who end up developing an appreciation for the material when they start to see that they can actually understand it and succeed in their class.
If you are already managing to find answers, I’ll help you develop your mathematical reasoning and help you focus on the most important concepts; concepts which will return over and over (and over!) again in future classes. Without someone to help you identify this important material, it’s easy to get lost in the large mass of topics. Not to mention that it feels great to get to later classes and have the content seem easier and easier while everyone else is struggling more and more. It all starts with this class!
- About Math 139 Weekly Mastery Lectures
- Time Management: even if you’re keeping up with the class on your own, the Math139.com Weekly Mastery Lectures will help you make better use of your study time. The notorious difficulty of McGill math classes is not inherent to the content itself; rather, it is the sheer volume of material that makes the classes so challenging. Better to spend 2h in a weekly session that will help you really understand the concepts and complete assignments yourself, rather than spending 8-10+h banging your head against the textbook and trying to decipher online resources only to get answers that don’t really make much sense to you, and have it haunt you come exam time, when you’ve got 4 other classes to study for.
- Maintaining Commitment: despite the best of intentions to keep up with material and not use Uncle Wolfram for Webworks, McGill & Montreal have their way of always offering up plenty of reasons that derail the best laid plans. So you make a financial commitment to a weekly session that helps you reach your goal. It’s like the gym-membership model: you can workout on your own, but it’s a lot easier to reach your goals when you surround yourself with others who are working towards the same end. Knowing that you need help to reach a goal (& acting on it!) is knowing how to find the success you want.
- Math Therapy: I believe that anyone who wants to learn math, can. If you feel you’re terrible or hopeless at math, or just don’t enjoy it, there’s probably a list of bad math teachers somewhere in your past that would go a long way to explaining the difficulties you have, & no one wants to spend their time feeling like they just can’t get it. However, if you’re motivated and willing to do the work and practice, then you can definitely succeed. I’ve seen it hundreds of times: students go from failing in a fantastically impressive way to acing the class. The Weekly Mastery Lectures will go a long way to rehabilitating your relationship with math. Whatever your level, I want to help you reach your goals in this course – there’s so much more to gain than just a good grade in rising to the challenge.
- Top of the Class: many students who attend the Weekly Mastery Lectures don’t want to just pass the class, they want to understand the material at an intuitive level, &nd they want to ace the class. The weekly lectures provide a wealth of information that help you develop general, transferable skills in mathematical literacy and reasoning, and I work hard to help students do their very best (and many have both aced their classes and finished very top of the class).
The Weekly Mastery Lectures for Math 139 are ~2h, small-group, sessions that will help you master the concepts and theory presented in the course lectures. They include detailed, typeset notes that explain the terminology and notation. The notes are carefully designed as interactive documents that provide you with a chance to engage the material during the session so you can test your understanding, and also include representative, fully-solved problems and additional practice problems.
During the Mastery Lectures we will look at detailed, developed solutions, meant to illustrate different aspects of the material in a systematic, structured and easy-to-follow approach. Solutions are colour-coded to make it easy for you to see through the barrage of symbols and focus on the key concepts. It’ll also help you learn to structure your answers efficiently and effectively, so that the logic of the solution is clear to you (and the marker!).
The sessions are also designed with a view of the entire course in mind, so you know where to invest your time both in terms of success in this class, as well as in terms of the topics that will have the greatest application in future classes.
The Weekly Mastery Lectures will help you with: